Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What a Day!


Before I even begin, let me something my mom used to tell me: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

     I am so moved by what our country did last night. Our country, young and old, looked beyond race, name, age, and chose an amazingly qualified, inspiring man to be the 44th President of the United States. I cried through his speech last night, and this morning I watched a clip of an old speech by Martin Luther King Jr., a speech we all know, and I cried and cried. This is an amazing day. I know that the next four years aren't going to be perfect, but I also know that this country will not ever be the same! It doesn't matter who you voted for, this was a huge accomplishment for our country. A country that from the beginning thought you had to be a white man to count for anything. I hope we can continue to come together as a nation and encourage our soon-to-be President. He isn't perfect and this will be a tough four years, but the weight of the county is not on his shoulders, it is on all of ours. And YES, WE CAN!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Corrie-
I'm not much of a blogger, but I stalked you here through your facebook page! Just wanted to say my mom used to tell me the same thing --- I find it very comforting to know that moms all over the country from different generations are still saying this...I hope my girls live by it as well as you did in your blog. Your mom should be proud!
Kitti

Leah said...

Corrie -
I found your link on your facebook account. I think it is so encouraging to hear fellow believers supporting Obama. I have been so frustrated through this whole election because I feel as believers, we have been judged and criticized for supporting someone outside of "the norm", whatever that may be! Thank you for being so open with your feelings. I only hope that other believers who don't think the right man won will stop criticizing and can take part in this amazing moment in history!

Anonymous said...

We drove by your old stomping grounds. For a moment I got excited thinking that maybe we could stop and see you, then I remembered.... and Seth and I sat in a moment of silence. We miss you guys.

lizhoweth said...

Corrie,

Thanks for leaving the story on my blog. Um, that's actually pretty disturbing. I don't know how a stranger could do that to someone and think it's normal. That would be a weird thing to do even to my sister!!